On a night in which Hall of Famer Champ Bailey had the field renamed in his honor, the Charlton County Indians made too many mistakes and the Irwin County Indians took full advantage of them handing the Tribe a 56-0 defeat.

Charlton would receive the opening kickoff and Jaylen Lilley broke free for a 25-yard run on the game’s first play out to the 45 yard line. But two plays later the Indians would fumble and Irwin scooped the loose ball up and raced 40 yards for a touchdown with just over a minute gone off the clock.

After the kickoff, the Indians would go three and out and had to punt. After just a nine-yard punt, Irwin would score on the first play from scrimmage racing 36 yards to paydirt. With 8:48 left in the opening quarter, Irwin led, 14-0.

Once again, the Indians had to punt after not picking up a first down and Irwin took over from their own 33. After a nine-yard run on first down, Irwin would break off a 58-yard touchdown run and at the 5:28 mark, Irwin held a 21-0 lead.

Things would continue to go bad for the Indians when they threw an interception on their next drive with Irwin taking over at their own 46. Three runs and one pass play later, Irwin was on the one yard line from where they would score once again and take a 28-0 lead.

Nothing seemed to go the Indians’ way when on fourth down of their next drive, a bad snap forced a run on the punt resulting in Irwin taking over at the 24 yard line. Three plays later, Irwin was in the end zone again scoring on a six-yard run with 9:33 left in the half to make the score, 35-0.

On the Indians next drive, disaster struck again after the Tribe had began to move the ball. Three passes from Jaylen King to Seaquan Clark totaling 19 yards and a 13-yard run by Lilley moved the ball to the Irwin 32. But on the next play, Irwin intercepted a pass and raced 72 yards to paydirt, leaving the Tribe in a 42-0 deficit with still 6:07 left in the half.

On the next drive, a bad snap and an intentional grounding penalty against the Tribe backed them up to their own 15, from where they had to punt again, giving Irwin good field position at the 40. On third down from the 38, Irwin completed a 38-yard touchdown pass with 1:51 left in the half.

Hoping to get into the locker room, the Indians ran the ball three times, but fumbled on the final one and Irwin scooped it up and ran 54 yards for a touchdown with just 0:11 left in the half to take a 56-0 lead.

The second half would be played with a running clock, and after Irwin took the second half kickoff the Tribe would make their first stop of the night when Gage Renfroe fell on an Irwin fumble to get possession for the Indians.

Charlton couldn’t move the ball and punted. Irwin took over and drove to the Indian 20 before being stopped on downs as the third quarter came to a close.

Neither team would threaten in the fourth quarter as Irwin took the win and Charlton fell to 1-5 on the year.