The long season for the Charlton County Indian football team continued last Friday night when they lost to Telfair County, 34-7, on Homecoming night. The Indians’ inability to sustain offensive drives was prevalent again forcing the defense to stay on the field too often.

The Tribe would get a fantastic return of the opening kickoff by Seaquan Clark as he ran it out 46 yards to the Telfair 47 yard line. But the Tribe would fumble the ball on a fourth down play and turn the ball over on downs.

Telfair would take over from it’s own 46, and behind a mixture of passes and runs, moved the ball to the Indian 16. The Tribe would stiffen and Telfair settled for a 33-yard field goal with 4:17 left in the opening quarter.

After another three-and-out, the Trojans started at their own 25 and faced a fourth-and-one. A fake punt picked up ten yards and kept the drive alive. Six plays later, the Trojans found the end zone on a one-yard run. The PAT made the score 10-0 just 38 seconds into the second quarter.

The Indians would lose a fumble on their next drive, but the defense held and Telfair punted the ball down at the 11 yard line.

Backed up deep, the Tribe would strike quickly on second down as Jaylen King found Randy Nelson down the seam for an 89-yard touchdown pass. The pass completion is the second longest in Charlton County history. Wyatt Crews kicked the PAT and the Indians were back in the game at 10-7 with 6:11 left in the half.

Telfair took over after the kickoff and drove to the Indian 18, but Caleb Milton would strip the ball away from Telfair and recover the loose ball to end the drive.

After a nine-yard pass from King to Clark, the Indians gave the ball right back on an interception at 45. The Trojans used four plays to cover the distance, scoring on a 16-yard pass with just 27 seconds left before the half. The PAT kick gave the Trojans a 17-7 halftime lead.  

Telfair received the second half kickoff and moved down to the 11 yard line where the Indians held and forced a 27-yard field goal, bumping the lead up to 20-7.

Disaster would strike on the next Indian possession as they fumbled the ball and Telfair scooped up the loose ball and raced 34 yards for a touchdown. With less than five minutes gone in the second half, the Telfair lead had grown to 27-7.

Another Indian turnover gave the ball back to the Trojans near midfield. A sack by Jaquaz Jackson sent Telfair backwards, but they were still able to pick up a first down and continue the drive. With 11:31 left in the game, Telfair scored on a five-yard run to take a 34-7 lead.

The Indians were able to finally get a drive going behind the running of Tony Cobb who accounted for 49 yards. The drive would reach the 16 yard line before a sack on fourth down ended the scoring threat. From there, Telfair was able to run out the clock and send the Indians to their seventh straight loss.

The Indians travel to Homerville this Friday to face Clinch County before wrapping up the season the following week at home versus Lanier County.