The Charlton County Herald is a community newspaper serving Folkston, Homeland, St. George and all of Charlton County, Georgia. The paper is published weekly, placed on newsstands Tuesday evening and delivered to our subscribers by mail on Wednesdays, except when postal holidays alter the schedule. The Herald's news coverage focuses primarily on Charlton County, its cities and communities, as well as broader issues affecting its residents. Circulation is approximately 3,000. The Herald is the legal organ for Charlton County.
The current owner and publisher is Jamie Gardner, of Gardner Newspapers, headquartered in Baxley, Georgia. Gardner Newspapers also owns The Baxley News-Banner and Gardner Printing Services.
Gardner Newspapers bought The Herald in November, 2016. Matt Gardner, former General Manager of The Baxley News-Banner, became editor of The Herald at that time.
The newspaper is located at 3781-A Main Street in downtown Folkston.
Robert and Cheryl Williams of SouthFire Newspaper Group owned The Herald from 2007 until 2016, with Laura Crozier acting as editor.
David and Mary Kate Thompson owned The Herald from 1993 until 2007, with Mr. Thompson acting as publisher and editor.
Doyle and Mary Lou Lewis were owners of The Herald from 1959 through 1993, with Mr. Lewis acting as publisher and editor. He began working at the paper in 1948 as a junior in high school. At that time, the newspaper was located on what is now Railroad Street.
Mr. Lewis purchased The Herald from R. Ward Harrison, who produced the newspaper in St. Mary's at The Camden County Tribune, which was also owned by Mr. Harrison. The Lewises moved production of The Herald back to Folkston when they bought the paper.
Mr. Harrison owned the paper from 1935 to 1959. He also served as the Georgia Superintendent of Parks by appointment from Governor Ellis Arnall.
T.W. Wrench owned and ran The Herald from 1914 to 1916 and from 1924 to 1935. Mrs. W.H. Robinson owned the newspaper from 1918 to 1924.
Other owners of The Herald during its early days include Kathleen de Grafenreid, L.E. Mallard, W.W. Tyler, Eustace Wainwright and Benjamin Sams.
Colonel William Olliff was founder of The Charlton County Herald starting it up on June 18, 1898. The paper was printed in Waycross at that time and its stated purpose was to assist Folkston in moving the county seat from Traders Hill.