Folkston’s very own Okefenokee Restaurant made U.S. Rep. Buddy Carter’s “Top Restaurants of the Year” list. The list is made of restaurants throughout District 1.
From Carter’s newsletter, the restaurant is quoted to be a “buffet style gem located in Folkston” and “a great place to stop with a big appetite.”
Below is an excerpt from Carter’s newsletter which lists all restaurants, starting with the southern most district and working his way up the coast.
1. Seagles Restaurant- The oldest continually operating restaurant and bar in St. Mary’s combines the ambience of the beautiful downtown area with great food.
2. Okefenokee Restaurant- This buffet style gem located in Folkston is a great place to stop with a big appetite.
3. Southern Soul Bar B Que- The secret has been out on this great eatery for quite a while. In 2018 it was voted one of Southern Living’s “South’s Best.”
4. Wong’s Palace- My brother-in-law lives in Waycross. Trust me- he knows the best places to eat and he swears by this one.
5. Skipper’s Fish Camp- Talk about a waterfront experience! Located on the banks of the Darien River, this is one of McIntosh County’s many great places to eat.
6. Reedy Creek Steakhouse- Ok, I admit it. This is a sentimental choice as well as great food. Located near Screven in Wayne County, this is where I often ate with that pretty little girl I was courting from Waycross who has now been my bride for 43 years.
7. Historic Strand Dinner theater- Where else can you have a great meal and enjoy a great movie experience than in Jesup? And visit with the Mayor at the same time!
8. The Crab Shack- Is there any place in the world like Tybee Island? My biggest concern when eating here is to make sure to take my tie off. If you’re overdressed here, you may get run out. And trust me, you don’t want to miss the food here.
9. Lovezzola’s Pizza & Sub- I moved to Pooler in 1980 and have been enjoying the food at this family-owned business ever since. Always delicious!
10. Any place in Savannah- Ok, I was born at night, but it wasn’t last night. Pick a favorite restaurant in a city that has an abundance of world class restaurants? No, thank you! Just pick one here- I promise you can’t go wrong!