While the community still faces uncertainties, the community has rallied together to help serve the people of Charlton County. Here is what you can expect:
Southeastern Grocers, Inc. (SEG), parent company and home of local Harveys Supermarkets, announced it has proactively implemented additional safety measures to further safeguard customers and associates from the spread of COVID-19. Announcement highlights include:
• Grocer to install protective Plexiglas partitions at all store registers, customer service desks and pharmacies counters by April 3.
• All local Harveys Supermarkets will implement additional social distancing protocols, in accordance with CDC guidance, to maintain a six-foot distance between customers and associates: floor markers will be added.
• All Harveys Supermarkets will continue to offer modified store hours to provide the cleanest, safest possible store experience. All stores will open at 8 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.
• Grocer will continue to expeditiously hire individuals who have been affected by restricted working hours and layoffs – including those in the hospitality and restaurant industry
• Grocer will extend shopping hours on Monday and Tuesday to add a special shopping hour from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m. dedicated to healthcare providers and first responder
Georgia’s Governor, Brian Kemp, issued an executive order extending the closure of Georgia schools through April 24. Therefore, all Charlton County Schools will remain closed, but it is anticipated schools will reopen Monday, April 27.
The plan is to enhance the current offering of digital resources for students who have the capability to access the digital environment. Those without connectivity or computer resources will be provided printed packets. These packets will be delivered to areas of the community in coordination with the Grab ‘N Go Lunch and Snack Program Friday, April 3 for those who were unable to pick up their copies earlier this week. More details will be released as soon as possible. The Board of Education will continue to update their web page at https://www.charlton.k12.ga.us/ with COVID-19 information. This situation continues to evolve daily and information will be provided as necessary.
The annual Homeland Easter Egg Hunt has been cancelled for this year.